Happy Birthday Lucille Ball!

Hi guys! I just wanted to give a quick shout-out to one of the legendary comedians of our time, Lucille Ball. Lucy would have been 100 years old today. Her show tickles me today as much as it did when I was a kid, watching those old black and white reruns on Nick at Night. It never gets old. They don’t make TV like this anymore… oh, how I wish they did.

When reading up on Lucille Ball and her food preferences, she described herself as a “meat and potatoes” kind of gal. I wish I could have cooked for her. I probably would have made her my Savory Herb Braised Brisket with some salty roasted potatoes on the side. Homey comfort food… the best!

I’ve posted my favorite “I Love Lucy” moment below. And of course, it has to do with food. :) What’s yours?

YouTube Preview Image

About Tori Avey

Tori Avey acts as editor and curator of The History Kitchen, where she shares her own food history writing and seeks out creative contributors from throughout the culinary world. Tori also writes an award-winning kosher food blog, The Shiksa in the Kitchen. She explores the story behind the food – why we eat what we eat, how the foods of different cultures have evolved, and how yesterday’s food can inspire us in the kitchen today. Read more...

Category: History

1. Samantha says:

We just went to the Egyptian Theater on Thursday in Hollywood and saw a 1954 Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez movie, The long, long trailer! It was fabulous!

• Dianne Klinski says:

You saw the Long Long Trailer too? Isn’t that the cutest Lucy movie! I love the trade show part, where they show all the “latest and greatest innovations”. Then them climbing that mountain and she’s got all those rocks still in there! When I watched that as a kid, I actually got kinda scared, now as an adult when I watch it, you can actually feel Lucy’s guilt get bigger and bigger the higher they go up….LOL Wonderful movie!

2. Kim Bee says:

Great post dedicated to a great woman. My fave is the vitameataveggamin episode. So funny!

3. Carrie says:

The candy one is my favorite too! My mom and her friend Lucy worked at a candy factory one summer for extra money and they worked in the packing part. One day they decided to make a contest for themselves to see if they could fill them so fast the glue on the boxes would stick together and they succeeded. :)

4. Connie says:

There was an old I Love Lucy episode where Lucy baked bread (food oriented again). She adds way too much yeast and the loaf grows so large that it pushes Lucy out of her kitchen. I can’t find the episode on You Tube but it made such an impression that I can still visualize many parts of this episode that I most likely last saw when I was a child (I’m now 62).

5. Claire says:

Here in the UK we don’t really know I love Lucy – so me and ELizabeth (aged7) have really enjoyed watching this clip. Elizabeth was roaring her head off – as she says. We’re definitely going to have a look for some more clips on You Tube.

6. Shawn Cady says:

Lucy was a legend in her own time. My favorite episode was the Vitameatavegimin. As she gets more tipsy and tries to say her lines . . . OMG, I laugh till I cry. She had it all and never stooped to sex, swearing, or fart jokes!

7. Pingback: The Shiksa Picks – Tori’s Favorite Finds on the Web 8.12.11 | The Shiksa Blog